Colleges Week at ESC
Published: 19 October 2020
Colleges Week at ESC
At ESC, we are celebrating Colleges Week with the Association of Colleges! This week is all about highlighting the work that colleges have done this year to support people and communities. The Association of Colleges outlined a different theme for each day, showing how colleges are central to different aspects of the community.
Colleges are… at the centre of the economic rebuild
At East Surrey College, we love helping businesses, helping them to identify skills gaps, upskill their workforces and grow. How do we do this?
- Our Employer Services team work in a range of industries to recruit Apprentices
- Our Part-time Qualification courses can help you to rebuild careers and open up new pathways
- We’ve hosted two Virtual Job Fairs this year! Using Microsoft Teams, our students joined employer webinars and were able to pose questions to experts
- Throughout the year, students benefit from employer talks and guest speakers, so they get an insight into the industry
Colleges are...at the centre of growing and supporting individual sectors
At ESC, we’re proud to offer courses for industries and environments that are ever-changing and in high demand!
On our vocational courses, students are equipped with vital sector skills to step headfirst into the workplace and succeed! Our courses are designed to fit in with skills gaps and ensure that students are benefitting from tutors with industry experience.
From Construction to Childcare, all our students have stories to tell, explore their journeys at https://www.esc.ac.uk/student-case-studies
Colleges are...at the centre of innovation and designing the future
It’s not only our logo that is green! At ESC we’re forward-thinking and environmentally friendly! Here are some things you maybe didn’t know about our building:
- We have a BREEAM rating of Very Good
- We use rainwater harvesting and controlled flows on our taps
- Our appliances are A* Energy Efficient and use sensor lights throughout the College
- We have a green roof that uses sedum plants
- We have a passive cooling beams system in place
Colleges are...at the centre of supporting people and communities
This year, the ESC community has come together to encourage one another, look out for each other and stay positive! Even virtually, our students and staff have shown strength in community, and here are just a few examples of how we’ve supported others:
- We ran a #BeKindToYou project for Mental Health Awareness Week, where staff and students sent in photos of how they take the time to look after themselves, be that cooking, reading, sport or more!
- Our Teacher Training tutor, Jose, set up a ‘Meals Behind the Wire’ project to provide free meals to prison officers and health workers!
- Film & TV student Ella put together a virtual a capella video for Vocal Dimension Chorus!
- We ran our Part-time Teaching courses online so that students could continue to learn how to inspire the next generation!
- We've hosted two successful Virtual Open Events so that everyone can explore ESC from the comfort of home! Our Events included bookable 1:1 chats, live and pre-recorded videos, and virtual tours of our facilities.
Colleges are...at the centre of the Covid-19 response
Our Mechanical Engineering Apprentice Myles has been working hard at the University of Surrey to create protective visors for frontline workers! He’s working towards a Level 4 Apprenticeship as a Mechanical Workshop Technician and explained:
“I was keen to do anything we possibly could in order to help the NHS because they are the main defence against this virus and the real heroes."
His work has involved setting up 3D printers to create visors and shields, going to Royal Surrey County Hospital and local care homes!
You can get involved with Colleges Week by sharing your ESC stories and memories from College online, using #LoveOurColleges and #CollegesWeek!