All of the Higher Education courses at East Surrey College have been especially designed to prepare you for employment within the career path that you have chosen.
Foundation Degrees and Higher Nationals are developed especially to be vocationally relevant and are created in such a way as to embed employability skills within them.
Foundation Degrees (FdA/FdSc) at East Surrey College
- Air Transport Operations Management FdA offers a strong vocational focus on operations management in a specific and highly-regulated industry. Drawing on our own expertise in teaching air transport operations and benefiting from strong links with numerous companies at Gatwick Airport, this programme marks graduates out as tomorrow’s air transport managers.
- Business Management FdA students are often working whilst they study real-world commercial skills, and the course provides a marker for career progression for these graduates. In addition, some students choose to top-up to BSc (Hons) Business at University of Chichester, building on the vocational skills that have been assessed during the FdA.
- Early Years FdA students already work in a nursery or childcare setting. This programme offers an opportunity to increase skills and knowledge of the sector, which in turn can lead to promotion. The course can also lead to Early Years professional status.
- Internet Software Development FdSc is a project-based programme that reflects 'real life' scenarios that students can expect to encounter in the world of work.
- Sound & Music Production FdA is a programme designed especially for students who want to progress into various production and technical roles in audio, and to accommodate the need for the multi-specialisms required by the contemporary sound and music industry.
HNCs at East Surrey College
- Construction HNC students are generally in employment and bring their wide range of experience into the classroom. The courses offer the opportunity to extend higher level skills in order to secure progression within a variety of careers in Construction.
- Engineering HNC students are generally already in work in an Engineering position. These programmes offer an opportunity to increase skills and knowledge of the sector, which in turn can lead to promotion.
- Sport (Coaching & Sports Development) HNC offers a specialist vocational programme which has links to professional body requirements and National Occupational Standards. With a combination of theoretical studies and practical applications across key disciplines students gain vital knowledge and skills needed in the health and fitness, sports coaching or sport and exercise sciences.
HNDs at East Surrey College
- Construction HND courses provide students with the opportunity to extend higher level skills in order to secure progression within a variety of careers in Construction.
- Engineering HND programmes offer students the opportunity to increase skills and knowledge of the sector, which in turn can lead to promotion. Completion at HND level leads to progression to University and eventual achievement of IEng status.
- Fashion & Textile Business Development HND students will have access to retailers, trade fairs and experts in their field. The course gives students a broad knowledge and understanding of the roles associated within the Fashion and Textile industry through research, presentation and practical skills alongside business and marketing.
- Graphic & Digital Design HND students benefit from a wide range of live projects that simulate the practical dimensions of the working environment. There are opportunities to enter national and international competitions, as well as guidance on working for oneself. As with the other Art and Media HNDs below, the early familiarity with industry-standard equipment enhances employability.
- Photography HND prepares students for a variety of careers in the photographic industries. Lecturers who are also practitioners bring their skills and experience into the classroom and as with Graphic & Digital Design HND, students are encouraged to develop enterprise as well as subject-specific skills.
- Theatrical, Media & Special Effects Make-Up HND enables students to work with tutors highly experienced in the creative and media industries to learn the technical skills required to work as a specialist make-up artist. Students build a professional portfolio and benefit from bringing together theory and practice in the development of real-world skills.
For all Higher Education courses, you will be taught by industry-experienced professionals who provide an ongoing dialogue about careers and progression. All courses include an element of preparing you for employment within them and our Client Services department can offer additional careers advice to Higher Education students.