Life Skills Bring the Festive Spirit to ESC
Students from the Life Skills department are showcasing and selling a festive range of beautiful hand-made crafts and tasty baked treats at two stalls – one in the Winter Garden at Gatton Point North and the other by reception at Gatton Point South. All proceeds from sales will be split between charities, MIND and Disability Rights UK.
The array of hand-crafted items on display include:
- Christmas tree decorations – brightly coloured clay and ceramic ornaments, festive ribbon key chains and pretty wool pom-poms
- Creative and imaginative Christmas cards and gift tags sold individually and in packs
- Cones of sweets in seasonal colours – white, red and green
- Baked festive fruit slices and strawberry filled shortcake
Students have used a range of skills for the project, including:
- Crafting all the items on sale and baking the cakes
- Deciding on prices and designing price lists
- Packaging everything to create an eye-catching display
- Manning the stall and customer service skills
- Teamwork and communication with each other
They’ve gained valuable, real-life work experience to add to their CVs, whilst raising money for a worthy cause.
One of the students commented: “My heart feels really warm, being in the Christmas spirit – it’s exciting!”.