We have set our optional cookies. By clicking any link on this page you are giving your consent for us to do this. OR: leave cookies off Read about our cookies
Search this website
eZone student resource
Parent portal eTrackr


1. Purpose
To provide a transparent account of the stages through which prescribed higher education students can raise concerns, and the various internal and external options open to them.

2. Procedures

Informal Stage One (Department):

1. Raise the issue informally with your course leader as an individual or group. This is best done in an email so there is a record. If you cannot talk to your course leader for whatever reason, you should raise it with your Director of Learning.

Alternatively, or additionally:

2. If the issue affects others too, and/or is not urgent, raise it via your student representative at your Course Board. This is best done for issues that affect some or all of your group. This means the concern is minuted, and the Department must provide a more formal response. If the Course Board is not at a convenient time, the issue should be raised as per (1).

The vast majority of issues are resolved at Stage One.

Informal Stage Two (Senior Management):

3. If the issue is not resolved within your Department, you should raise it with the Director of Higher Education who will informally discuss your concern with another senior manager – or potentially at the College HE Board if it is a serious and/or group issue. This is chaired by the College Quality Lead and is minuted.

If you cannot resolve the issue informally, you are entitled to raise it formally.

Formal Stage One (Internal):

4. The College has a Client Feedback Policy. Complete a Client Feedback Form from Client Services or via this link if the stages above have not produced a resolution. This means your formal concern will be logged as official and will come to the attention of a member of the College Executive Team. However, they will expect that the informal stages have been exhausted first. You will receive an official response in a timely manner. If internal means (1-4) are exhausted without resolution, you are entitled to a "Completion of Procedures" letter by the College, which allows access to Stage 6.

Formal Stage Two (External – Degrees only):

5. If you are a HE student studying for a degree (rather than a Higher National qualification), you can ask for academic-related concerns to be escalated to our partner university. This will then follow their own complaint procedure as detailed in their own guidance. They will expect that the previous stages have been exhausted first.

Formal Stage Three (External – Degrees and Higher Nationals):

6. In the unlikely event that your concern has still not been resolved, for certain types of issue, you are able to take it to an independent body – The Office of the Independent Adjudicator. Their website www.oiahe.org.uk gives full details of how to raise an issue with them and what issues they are able to deal with. They will expect that the previous stages have been exhausted first.

3. Access to Procedure
This procedure is available on the College Intranet.

4. Mechanisms for Feedback
Constructive comment on the continued improvement of this procedure is welcomed and should be forwarded to the College Quality Lead.

5. Further information
ESC08 Client Feedback Policy
ESC50 HE Assessment and Appeals Policy
Regulations associated with awarding bodies (Pearson, University of Chichester)
The Office of the Independent Adjudicator

6. Produced/Reviewed by: Director of HE Date: 5 November 2019
7. Approved by: Directorate Date: 13 November 2019
8. Review Date: September 2021
9. Policy Code: ESC08A

Click to view the Terms and Conditions of Enrolment.

Address: East Surrey College, Gatton Point, London Road, Redhill, Surrey RH1 2JX

Main Switchboard: 01737 772611 / Client Services: 01737 788444 / Email: clientservices@esc.ac.uk