All of the Higher Education courses at East Surrey College have been especially designed to prepare you for employment within the career path that you have chosen.
Foundation Degrees and Higher Nationals are developed especially to be vocationally relevant and are created in such a way as to embed employability skills within them.
- FdA Business students are often working whilst they study real-world commercial skills, and the course provides a marker for career progression for these graduates. In addition, some students choose to top-up to BSc (Hons) Business at University of Brighton, building on the vocational skills that have been assessed during the FdA.
- FdSc Internet Software Development is a new course for 2016/17 and is a project-based programme that reflects 'real life' scenarios that students can expect to encounter in the world of work.
- FdA Early Years Care and Education students are all already in work in a nursery or childcare setting. This programme offers an opportunity to increase skills and knowledge of the sector, which in turn can lead to promotion. The course also can lead to Early Years Professional Status.
- FdA Travel and Tourism Management includes a placement element, where Year 1 students spend a significant amount of time (April to September) in the workplace. Modules studied cover a wide range of skills and learning required for successful careers in travel and tourism and assessments are geared towards putting these into practice.
- FdA Aviation Operations Management offers a strong vocational focus on operations management in a specific and highly-regulated industry. Drawing on our own expertise in teaching aviation operations and benefiting from strong links with numerous companies at Gatwick Airport, this programme marks graduates out as tomorrow’s aviation managers.
- HNC Construction students are generally in employment and bring their wide range of experience into the classroom. The courses offer the opportunity to extend higher level skills in order to secure progression within a variety of careers in construction.
- HND Graphic and Digital Design students benefit from a wide range of live projects that simulate the practical dimensions of the working environment. There are opportunities to enter national and international competitions, as well as guidance on working for oneself. As with the other Art and Media HNDs below, the early familiarity with industry-standard equipment enhances employability.
- HND Photography prepares students for a variety of careers in the photographic industries. Lecturers who are also practitioners bring their skills and experience into the classroom and as with HND Graphic Design, students are encouraged to develop enterprise as well as subject-specific skills.
- HND Theatrical, Media and Special Effects Make-Up enables students to work with tutors highly experienced in the creative and media industries to learn the technical skills required to work as a specialist make-up artist. Students build a professional portfolio and benefit from bringing together theory and practice in the development of real-world skills.
- HNC Sport & Exercise Sciences offers a specialist vocational programme which has links to professional body requirements and National Occupational Standards. With a combination of theoretical studies and practical applications across key disciplines students gain vital knowledge and skills needed in the health and fitness, sports coaching or sport and exercise sciences.
For all Higher Education courses, you will be taught by industry-experienced professionals who provide an ongoing dialogue about careers and progression. All courses include an element of preparing you for employment within them and our Client Services department can offer additional careers advice to Higher Education students.